WPI students have helped improve the lives of women and girls for over more than 20 years in 14 countries through 90+ Interactive Qualifying Projects (IQPs). IQPs allow students to work in interdisciplinary teams to solve a problem or provide for a need at the crossroads of science and society. The Global Lab showcases and conducts research on the extensive array of IQP projects that have benefitted female community members at project centers. This initiative is generously supported by the Women’s Impact Network at WPI.
- 20+ projects
- Increase awareness of women’s health issues within disadvantaged communities
- Aid organizations that help women with cancer
- Develop programs to prevent abuse of women
- Research reproductive health issues
Study perceptions of health risks resulting from making weight in rowing
- Aid in fundraising for homeless women
- 30+ projects
- Introduced more women and girls to STEM through clubs, STEM camps, and understanding of technology
- Assessed the presence of gendered career interests in Worcester schools
- Evaluated the culture and support surrounding women at WPI
- 15+ projects
- Projects support marginalized women to start local businesses
- Help existing businesses expand and grow
- Aid in marketing women’s products and organizations
- Use technology to expand women’s businesses
- Analyze factors affecting employment of women
Camp Reach Project
Women in the STEM World: Showcasing STEM-Education
About Camp Reach
Camp Reach is a summer residential program for girls who have an interest in learning more about science and engineering careers. Camp Reach exposes participants to science and engineering concepts through discovery workshops, field trips, and hands-on community service projects.
Camp Reach & Global Lab
The Women In STEM Education project focuses on highlighting powerful women in the STEM-Ed field. Global Lab producers Chioma Onyenokwe (‘21) and Paloma González Gálvez (‘22) have been talking to the women of Camp Reach to share their experience and highlight the importance of STEM programs for young women.
Camp Reach Leaders
Camp Reach Conversations
Global Lab mediamakers curated conversations with Camp Reach leaders and alums to reveal and celebrate the many ways Camp Reach creates a network of powerful, accomplished, connected women in STEM.
Camp Reach Alums
Camp Reach ‘09, WPI ‘19
“Supporting young girls in their endeavors is a special thing. I think Camp Reach really set me on the path that I’m on today.”
Camp Reach ‘12, WPI ‘22
One of my friends from Camp Reach ended up being my co-worker at an internship. It was like we were instantly friends again!
Camp Reach Co-Founder
“Young women begin to see themselves as potential engineers because they’re actually solving a problem.”
Camp Reach Director
“The girls’ growth in self confidence and self efficacy is just as important as getting them excited about engineering.”